Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Yummy Topped Flat Breads: Chicken/Peach and Bacon/Brussel Sprout

Time with the neighbor ladies was wonderful yesterday.  We do not get together nearly enough.  A little wine, some good food, lots of laughter, (and stories that will not be repeated) made for another perfect day in my spring break.

I made two flat breads (flat bread recipe) to go with the fruit salsa and cinnamon chips (I used apricot preserves, no white sugar, and added blueberries), Greek style salad (dressing recipe), and Peggy's beans and chips.  One bread was topped with 1/2 cup peach salsa as a base sauce, then sprinkled with 1 cup shredded cooked chicken, 1/4 cup shredded (not grated) Parmesan  1/8 cup crumbled dolce Gorgonzola cheese (milder and sweeter than blue cheese), 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella sliced thin, 1 Tbs cilantro, 1 sliced peach, and a sprinkle of coarse grey salt.  I really liked this, and I have a couple left over slices in the refrigerator for lunch today.  Don't be scared of the Gorgonzola, and don't leave it out.  It adds great unexpected flavor.


The other was a twist on one I have made before, but much improved with additional toppings.  I fried 4 slices of bacon cut into small pieces until they were almost fully cooked, drained most of the grease and tossed in thin sliced brussel sprouts.  I continued to fry until the bacon was fully cooked and the sprouts were slightly softened.  I drizzled olive oil on the bread, topped with the sprouts and bacon, and added super thin red onion slices, red bell peppers, fresh mozzarella, Parmesan,  feta cheese, green onion tops and arugula leaves.  I also drizzled balsamic vinegar over the top before cooking.  Note there is no sauce and the cheese is not a majority of the topping.  Fabulous and a few slices of this left over for dinner.


Since I had partially baked the bread before topping (400 degrees on a pizza stone for 10 minutes), the flats only needed to heat through and melt the cheese.  That took about 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven on a hot pizza stone.  Next time I would bake the bread even less before topping (400 degrees for 5 or 6 minutes) so they will be less crisp.


And the dessert bars with shortbread, caramel, and bittersweet chocolate layers with fleur de sel sprinkles (Salted Caramel Chocolate Shortbread)?  Yum.  And yum.  Since this was my first time making this recipe, I was leery of adding too much salt and ruining the dessert.  However, I erred on the side of caution and next time will add more salt.  Did I say yum?


The sun is out, the day will be warm, so I'm thinking something outdoors and out of the kitchen today.  Thank goodness for left overs.