Saturday, March 9, 2013

Spring Break: Day 1

When you work for the school district, there are three events you joyously look forward to ever year:  summer vacation, Christmas vacation, and spring break.  Today marks the first day of my spring break from College Station ISD.  In past years I have had lofty goals of cleaning, creating, traveling, etc   Not this year.  This year I will relax a little more and expect a little less; and with Breck on a ski trip I will do some things I wouldn't normally do with him around.
  • Today I slept late (7:00am, which is late for me)
  • I drank coffee in my jammies until 11:30
  • I ate a lunch made with 2 cloves of garlic (only because my husband is out of town and my love of garlic is legendary)
  • I went to town and bought picture frames for my State Park wall for 50% off (and put my jammies back on when I got home)
  • I spent time in my sewing room making a new Dear Jane block
  • I pored over some old cookbooks that I haven't looked at in years.
  • I plan to spend the rest of the day watching the ScyFy channel (giant alligators on Lake Placid, killer Winged Monkeys in Gale, Kansas, and The Rise of the Gargoyles in Paris) and Seven Psychopaths on blue-ray (again, my husband is out of town)
I would say my break is off to a great start.

Tortellini Salad (adapted from Southern Living recipe for Tortellini and Tomato Salad)
1-9 ounce package Cheese Filled Tortellini
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
2 green onion, sliced with tops
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 cup frozen corn, roasted (broil on foil covered cookie sheet, drizzled with olive oil for 10 minutes)
*next time add 2 stalks celery, sliced and 1/2 red pepper, diced
*I don't like black olives, but they would be great in this
2 Tbs dried basil (my fresh had spoiled and my garden isn't ready)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp Worcestershire
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
salt
pepper
*a handful of shredded chicken would be great here for meat needy eaters

Cook tortellini, drain, and toss with the veggies and basil.  In food processor or blender, mix oil, cheese, Worcestershire, garlic, and salt and pepper to your taste.  Blend and toss with tortellini mixture.
2-3 servings