Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Something New

I really try and make posts that I know you guys will like.  This may not be that post.  Not everybody LIKES birds.  Several of you may have a Hitchcock phobia about birds (or The Birds).  But here I am again making a bird post.  I had to.  Observing all the comings and goings of birds at my feeder I have still never seen this guy before.


I used binoculars to get a better look since he was a good ways from my window.  After seeing he was something new I grabbed my camera and shot him through the window from 60 feet away (that is a quality disclaimer, by the way.).


That red patch on the back of his neck is what attracted my attention.  That and those fabulous spots.


I couldn't find him in my bird book, so I consulted the experts at the Bird Identification Help group on flickr. Turns out he is a Yellow-Shafted Northern Flicker.  Okay, so that is not earth shattering news, but the fact that up to 45% of his diet is ants is!  We could all use 45% less ants, right?  And I had two of them in my yard.  How lucky am I?