Sunday, March 3, 2013

McKinney Falls State Park

We could not have had a more gorgeous day to explore McKinney Falls State Park outside Austin, Texas with my son Cameron, his girlfriend Daniela, and my grandoggie Pockets.  Admittedly it was a bit chilly (okay, it was downright COLD), but it warmed up nicely as the afternoon wore on.


We have not had rain in awhile, so the falls were more of a trickle.


Pockets.  Enough said.  I love my grandoggie.


We pretty quickly decided to get off the main asphalt path and onto a dirt trail along the water's edge.



Some of us a little further off the path than others. (Note the spring blooms on the trees.  Things are about to get really pretty.)


I couldn't blame them.  The rocky cliffs were tempting.


So peaceful, and we had the place to ourselves.



This shot may make the photo wall.


We saw some snapping turtles.


And Blue-Winged Teal ducks hanging out with an American Coot.  I really have so much more to learn about my camera so I can get better shots of animals in motion.


Did I mention I love my grandoggie?  Even when wet from a swim and shaking himself dry he is cute, cute, cute.


If you knew my son Cameron, you could have guessed there would be tree climbing.  Luckily, no poison ivy this time (long and painful story).


 The ferns were popping up in the woods.


 The Red Bud trees were beginning to bloom.


And in the open areas the cacti was thriving.



We were pretty hungry having skipped lunch, so we took an early dinner at one of our favorite spots to eat in Austin - Shady Grove.


Yum. Tacos.


And an Arnold Palmer to wash it down.


Nice ending to a great day.

See more of our Texas State Park Adventures