Wednesday, March 13, 2013

2nd Look at my Upcycle

East Coast Creative.  I love their blog (it's on my list of Blogs I Stalk).  They are having a contest right now with 12 DIY bloggers that will last 4 weeks called Creating With The Stars.  The winner of week 1 has just been announced and you can check it out here.   My friend Amanda was chosen to participate and she did a wonderful job on her upcycled TV cabinet.  (Go Amanda!)  On the side, they are hosting a Link Party for upcycling projects (one done in the last 12 months) for the rest of us.  I had to join.

In June of 2012, I knew I had to do something with the blank walls in my dinning room.  I wanted something that was personal to me, something that went with an entertaining theme, and something inexpensive.


I got my start with some frames that I had collected during a 50% off sale.


When we moved into this home, a friend gave Breck and I a magazine subscription as a house warming gift.  The pictures were so beautiful that I just couldn't throw them away.  I pulled them out, spread them on the table, and chose my 5 favorite, most colorful covers.


After a little time in my crafts room with a rotary cutter and a mat, I had upcycled, personal, entertaining themed, art on my big dining room wall and spent no additional money.


I love that the magazine is large and fits in an 11 x 13 frame.  8 x 10s would have been too small for this space.


Once this was done, I was able to finally part with the remaining stack of magazines (recycling bin, of course).  So this was a decluttering project as well.


I am so happy to participate in this Link Party.  It's such a nice way to see what others are doing and to get ideas for future projects.  Thanks East Coast Creative.