Thursday, February 21, 2013

Red Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting

What a week!  There has been so much going on around here I don't even know where to start, nor do I think you really want all the details.  I do want to tell you about a new recipe I made that is going on my What's Cooking Recipes and the event for which I made it.

My friend Krystina is getting married and her coworkers hosted a shower in our school's library for her and her fiance this week.  We went with a bird theme.  Her students, and others on our hallway, decorated small wooden birdhouses.  We used them to accent tables and a tree branch in a pot used to decorate the food table.


I printed some note cards with two birds on a branch and Krystina and Brent's names on them for people to write small pieces of advice or well wishes.  These were hung on the tree as well, and scattered under it.  Did I mention food?


There were chips, dips, fruits and more dips, and  M & Ms that looked like eggs in pretty bowls,


Punch!  We love punch!  Can you tell?


We opted not to get one large cake and instead went with 5 separate desserts.  These cupcakes were so cute, and right in line with the theme.


 There was a Whopper Cake made with malted milk balls and sweetened condensed milk, creamy Cheese Cake, Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese frosting, and a light Angel Food Cake and strawberries.


Everything was amazing and I'm pretty sure everyone had a good time, including Krystina and Brent.  They were put on display a bit on a park bench decorated with a big bow.


And the gift?  The whole staff contributed toward a Lowes gift card presented tied to a new hammer to get them started.


Now back to the recipe I wanted to share.  I made the Red Velvet Cake and it got wonderful reviews so I thought it blog worthy.  The recipe is pretty simple.  I used three bowls and a bottle of Vanilla extract to get everything prepared.


In a stand mixer's bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of vegetable oil, and two eggs.
In another bowl combine 1 cup butter milk, 1 tsp white vinegar, and 1 1/2 ounces of red food coloring.
In the third bowl combine 2 1/2 cups self rising flour, 1 tsp baking powder, and 2 tbls. cocoa.

On medium high speed, beat sugar mixture for 5 minutes or more until light and fluffy.  Alternately add milk mix and flour mix to sugar blending gently after each addition.  Finally, add 1 1/2 tsps of vanilla and mix on low until combined.

Pour into greased 9" round pans and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30-35 minutes.  Check with a wooden pick to make sure cake is thoroughly cooked, then cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove cakes from pans and continue to cool.

Spread with store bought Cream Cheese Frosting, or better yet, make your own.  I used 2-8 ounce containers of cream cheese, one cup of stick butter (softened), 8 cups of powdered sugar, and 2 tsps of vanilla.  Beat, beat, beat, until fluffy and amazing. This made way more than I needed, so I froze what I didn't use for cupcakes later.

Sorry I didn't take more photos.  Breck and I had a friend over for dinner while I was making the cake so I was a little distracted.  And at the party I was so busy getting pictures of the people that I didn't get any of the cake when it was cut.  All I have is one of the cake tucked safely in the front seat of my car with towels to take the left overs home for Breck.   He was pleased.  He loves Red Velvet.