Sunday, February 17, 2013

A day in Rockport at Goose Island State Park

While heading to Rockport, Texas and Goose Island State Park this morning, I came across a beautiful fog bank.  It was burning off quickly, so I was glad to have been in the right place at the right time to see it.

Victoria, Texas
I also spotted this guy along the highway.  I even made a U-turn to go back and get his picture.  It's fuzzy because I was scared I would spook him if I got out of the car so I was taking these shots through the passenger side window with the car idling.

Juvenile Red Tailed Hawk
The park was fascinating, filled with private residences.


There was even a coastal ranch just feet from the ocean.  This is one of the cutest cows I have ever seen.


And this guy IS the cutest guy I have ever seen.  Look at those ears.  I love cows.  They always make me smile.


But you don't go to Goose Island for the cows (or the geese, apparently, because I didn't see a single one).

Ring-Billed Gull
Great Blue Heron
The Whooping Crane migrate here in winter and are a big deal in the park.  Trying to spot them in the sky through a camera lens with no trees or buildings for reference made it very difficult to photograph them.  This was a small group of 5 and I took 10 shots trying to find them and this is the only frame that caught a glimpse.

Whooping Crane
American White Pelican
Bonaparte's Gull
I love birds, you know that, but I really love small landscape shots.


I also love interesting plants.  I have no idea what this is, but I like it.  It grows about 6 inches tall and I found it all along the coastal road.



It never ceases to amaze me what my camera sees that I do not.  I once again find a subject with tiny spider webs that were invisible to my naked eye.  This seed pod was about the size of a dime.


 The Coastal Oaks were stunning.  The branches create a lot of interest.


This oak is over 1,000 years old, has a circumference of 35 feet 1 3/4 inches, and a diameter of 11 feet 2 1/4 inches.


And then there is the beach.  No sand, really, but lots of tiny shells.








Breck visited this park several years ago with our son Cameron, so we thought it would be okay to add a pin the map since we have both now visited.

See more of our Texas State Park Adventures