Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Little Ladybugs

I got to work on something this afternoon that I can't explain.  I can tell you what I made, how I made it, but what it is for . . .  I just can't tell.  It's not that I don't know, it's just going to remain a secret, a mystery, for a little while longer.  But what is this ambiguous project?  Felt Ladybugs.

To get started on this project, I searched the house for round objects to make a pattern for my little guys.  I ended up with a Gatorade lid for the body and a quarter for the head.


I love these little scissors.  They were just the right size for cutting the pattern and the red and black felt that I used to make the ladybugs.


For the stitching I used white embroidery floss.  I didn't need the 6 strand thickness, so I pulled it into 3 strand units.  Okay, I admit it.  I really just wanted to play with my macro lens.


Since the stitches are completely decorative, Liquid Stitch was great to glue the red wings to the body, hiding the loose ends between the two.


Here is what the back looked like when I added stitches to the body and head.  These will be hidden with the back.


I picked up this wire from Hobby Lobby to use for the antenna   Of course, there is Rudy in the background keeping me company.


I snipped off about 2 inches, bent it in the middle, and wrapped the ends around a crochet hook to make the little loops.


I glued the wire to the back of the head and a paper clip to the body, then one more black piece of felt cut to match the top got glued to the back.  This covered all the wires and stitches and finished it all off.


Kinda cute, huh?  I'll make a few more for what I have in mind and get back with you, I promise, on what the final project will be.