Saturday, January 5, 2013

Late Night Cupcakes

Did you ever?  Can you even identify?  Do you know where I'm coming from?  At 8:45pm on this chilly, wet, winter evening I got in the mood to bake cupcakes.  I don't know where the urge came from.  I was happy on the couch, watching football, eating left over pizza, and updating my Dear Jane chart.  Then out of the blue . . . cupcakes.  Maybe it was linked to my finding out that my friend, Kristen, is expecting her first child.  Can we call it a vicarious craving?


Luckily, I had a box mix (oh, I know how wrong this is), some peppermint frosting in a jar (pretty sure this was part of a "buy this and get this for free" thing), and a 1/3 of a bag of crushed peppermint candy (this I can explain; left over from my Peppermint Fudge).  By 8:56pm, 12 cupcakes were in the oven as well as 2 6-inch cakes.


Must they cool?  I was starting to get tired (insert whiny voice) and ready to call it a day.  Have patience, I tell myself.  Patience.


Let's just say It was worth the trouble at 9:32pm.  They came out pretty good considering their boxed beginnings.


And now I have some sweet treats in the freezer so next time when I get an 8:45pm craving I won't need to preheat my oven.  That is, whatever Breck doesn't indulge in first.