Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Homemade Asian 5 Spice

When I planned to make salmon for dinner with stir fry vegetables and egg rolls, I wanted to do something different from my usual fish-at-400-with-salt-and-pepper in the oven.  Keeping with the Asian theme, I decided to do a 5-spice rub.  Now, 5-spice is not something I keep in my pantry, but it is so easy to make with a few ingredients.  Five, to be exact.

1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 star anise (or 1 tsp crushed), 1/4 tsp fennel seed, 1/4 tsp peppercorns, and 2 whole cloves.


Grind, grind, grind, and grind some more.  I love my mortar and pestle.


This made more than I could use in one meal, so I spooned what I didn't use into cute little jars.


I got these jars in the wedding section of Joann's Fabrics.  They are perfect for herbs from my garden, or blends that I make.


We ended up eating the egg rolls as an appetizer, but stuck with the vegetable stir fry as a side dish.  I used Rainbow Slaw mix and shredded brussel sprouts tossed with sesame oil and a stir fry sauce.  Sooooo good.


As for the salmon?  It came out perfect.  A sprinkle of 5-spice, a little oil, and some Szechuan Pepper Salt that my wonderful husband gave me for Christmas, 12 minutes on the grill my parents gave him for cooking over an open fire, and we had a nice, healthy meal.


By the way, how do you like the new look to my blog?  I thought it was time for a change.