Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cornbread for Breakfast?

For whatever reason, I woke up earlier than usual this morning.  4:30AM.  Did you know there was such a thing?  I tossed and turned for 30 minutes before deciding that my mind was working way too hard for going back to sleep to be an option.  I was actually a little excited since the day before at the grocery store I picked up a new coffee pot (in store $10 off coupon! Win!).  My old one bit the dust a couple weeks ago and I have been making French Press every morning.  Doubly excited because it's programmable.

I had set the timer the night before to begin brewing at 5:30, so I folded a little laundry and worked on my ladybugs.  At 5:30 when I didn't smell coffee, I went to check on the pot.  I had set the timer for 5:45 which normally would have been fine, but this morning it just delayed my caffeine injection.  I sucked it up.  I could wait another 15 minutes.  5:45 passed and I still didn't smell any coffee.  When I checked again, this time consulting the manual, I found I had not set the timer correctly.  Oops.


I hit start and waited another couple minutes to finally have my coffee.


Wow!  The coffee was so strong.  I think I will be able to cut back on the number of grounds I need to get the brew I like.  It was worth the wait, especially served on the side of one of my new freezer breakfasts (9 New Recipes for the Freezer).  I thought about pulling an egg sandwich, but decided to save those for mornings when I need to grab breakfast to go.  I ended up having the Cornbread Cake from Linda at Stick to Your Hips with a drizzle of maple syrup.  Only 30 seconds in the microwave.  Look at that crispy, shiny crust and the way the syrup soaked into the side of the cake.  Those little dots of spices made it smell amazing.


Enough waiting!  I had now been awake for 1 1/2 hours with no coffee or breakfast AND I had still taken the time to get my camera and take a few photos!  I dug in.


This recipe exceeded my expectations.  Great alternative to pancakes which don't reheat from the freezer without taking on a funny new texture.  I love this for breakfast in the morning from the freezer, but I would also make it for company.  Yes, it's that tasty.  It's going on the What's Cooking list for sure.