Saturday, December 29, 2012

Yaupon Berries in Winter

It's a photography post, but I bet you figured that out already.

Yaupon berries are about 1/4 inch in diameter
 We had rain over night and I wanted to try out my new macro lens on water drops this morning.

Inedible to people, but the birds love them when they are ripe
 I can tell that I will be happier using a tripod, but I was thrilled with my first attempts in uncontrolled conditions.


When I took this picture of a small stick with moss on it, I didn't even notice the spider threads with water drops on them.  I would have taken more if I had.

Small branch from an oak tree 
 The lens is so close to what I am photographing that I sometimes bumped the leaves and berries causing the water drops to run off.  This leaf is about 1 inch long.


There is no zoom, I am really that close.  The drop in the background has the upside down reflection of the trees that are behind me.

Cloudy day, but enough morning light to get some reflections
I love that I can see tree and leaf reflections in the droplets.


Oh, I can tell I am going to have a lot of fun with this lens.


I can't wait to try it on food!