Saturday, December 1, 2012

Trains! Trains! Trains!

My father-in-law, Tig, is in town for the weekend.  We had been telling him stories for years about my brother's land, so we loaded up in the car and headed for east Texas for the day.  My dad and brother were up doing some work on the new cabin.  They have come a long way in a short time.


More than just the new cabin had changed in a week.  The picture on the left was taken at Thanksgiving one week ago and the one on the right was taken today.  Most of the leaves have come down now.


A little color could still be found if you looked.  I love this photo.


After leaving the land we dropped by the Railroad Historical Site in Rusk, Texas.  We found out it is no longer a part of the Texas State Parks, so no new pin for our map.


A pretty park none the less.


And the railroad still comes through.


Though not today.


We got lucky as we headed down the road a little further and came across a storage and renovation park for old trains.  A guy just happened to be leaving when we got there (just happened to be working on a Saturday, I might add) and gave us a personal walk about.


He was a wealth of knowledge explaining all he knew and answered all our questions.


Pretty sure that Tig was in seventh heaven.  He loves trains.


And there were plenty to see.


I was partial to the snow plow.  How it came to be in Texas I'll never know.


This guy was so big.  The large wheels were about 4 feet tall.


Before Steve took us through the workshop, we picked up a friend.  He hung with us the rest of the way.


The workshop was huge!  I guess it needs to be to fit an engine inside for repair and renovations.


Out back we saw one more train that was built in 1901.


This train still sees action.  It is used for a photography train tour that I simply must take one day.


After seeing all these trains up close, I bet it wouldn't be difficult to talk Breck into coming on one with me.


Such a neat trip.  So lucky to have bumped into Steve.


We had one other adventure, but more on that tomorrow.