Sunday, December 9, 2012

Three Weekends 'Til Christmas

With only 3 weekends left for a working girl to prepare for Christmas, I really needed to switch my energy and enthusiasm into high gear.  I started out by going through the UPS, FedEx, and USPS boxes that have been piling up in the front hallway.


Living in a less than perfect shopping town means Breck and I do a lot of our consumer spending on line. Yesterday we opened, sorted, wrapped, and re-boxed for shipping to Georgia, California, and Massachusetts. Though normally I would be appalled at the large amounts of wasted packaging, I found it very useful this year for our shipping needs.   Kracken loved it for the entertainment value.


Not many, but some of the packages went under the tree for the family and friends that will be getting together at our place this year for Christmas.  And the tree skirt was my one decorative addition this year to my vast holiday stash of decorations.  It's perfect with the tree color.


Once these duties were behind me with Breck's help, I moved on to getting my Cookie Exchange menu in order.  I'm very excited about it.  I am relying on a couple old favorites (Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps


and Mini Crab Cakes), but trying lots of new things this year as well.


Making a menu is not as easy as it may first appear.  Since the party is on a day I need to go to work, it must be comprised of items I can make ahead and freeze, partially prepare in advance, serve cold or room temperature, or bake quickly before the guests arrive.  Hopefully I have nailed it.  More on the menu another day.  I don't want to give away too many surprises for the guests.

Speaking of giving away surprises, I made my coworker Christmas goodies today.  I didn't plan to do this so far in advance, but I just couldn't help myself.  Hopefully this photo doesn't give away the contents.


I'll tell you what they are and will post the recipe and how-to tomorrow after passing them out at school.  Here is a hint:  it's not food.

While I was working on these, Breck was getting our outdoor lights up.  I think this will be the last holiday touch we put on the house this year.


So the season is in full swing now.  One weekend down (and productive) and two to go.