Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Getting Ready for 2013

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!  I know I did.  I didn't do many Christmas posts this year. Time was short for this reason and that.  Now I am taking down decorations and planning for the new year.  Before I get too into that, I want to show you a very special pie.


My son's girlfriend, Daniela, spent Christmas this year with us.  She is a wonderful baker who makes cupcakes that she sells on her college campus for charity.  This year she told me she wanted to do something different   She wanted to learn to bake a pie.  I had a bunch of apples in the refrigerator so we pulled out my grandmother's old baking cookbook and whipped one up Christmas Eve.  It was so juicy and delicious.  Thanks, Dani.


I have plans, not resolutions, for the new year that I have been thinking about for some time.
  • Create a bucket list of activities with Breck to look forward to in 2013.  If it works well, it may become our new New Year's tradition over a notepad and champagne on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.  
  • I am, and always have been, terrible about cards: birthday, get well, thank you, anniversary, you name it.  I want to become more organized in this area.  This will take some work.
  • All our family photos are in boxes not albums and I like it this way, but I would like to scan them and create files on my computer so I can look at them whenever I would like.  It will be fun looking back at 28 years of memories with my guy.
  • We have had a few trees come down due to the drought.  I have a few projects in mind to use some of that wood in creative ways.  Found a great product for curing fresh wood that keeps it from cracking as it dries.
  • On my super wish list is to add a deck and stairs in the back yard.  We love our fire pit and having friends over to cook out on the fire, but getting down the hill in the dark is not fun.  
  • I would love for next Christmas to be totally hand made.  I dabbled this year with success, but with planning I think I can pull this off in a way everyone will be happy with.  It is an aspiration that I need to get on right away, though, to get everything completed.
  • Throughout the year I want to organize and photograph the things I cook.  Not just for blog posts, but to make a cookbook of the things Breck and I really like to eat.  Like I need a new hobby, right?
So there we are.  I'll let you know how things go, of course.  I need to think a little more about them before New Year's Day.