Monday, December 10, 2012

Coworker Christmas Gifts - Gingerbread Sugar Scrub

Now that my treats have been handed out to my wonderful friends at work, I can let you in on the secret.


With a few simple kitchen items I made up a quadruple batch of Gingerbread Sugar Scrub.  If you have never used a sugar scrub on your hands you must try it.  Your hands will be left so soft and moisturized.  


I started by doubling the recipe not knowing how much I would need.


The one trick was sifting the sugar and spices to blend well and get rid of the lumps.  So pretty.  I used my grandmother's flour sifter.


Even though I used a brand new bag of brown sugar, I still had lumps.  Brown sugar is just so moist and sticky.  The sifter did the trick.


When I was finished, it looked like grains of sand from the beach with flecks of different brown tones from all the spices.  Smelled just like gingerbread.


Grapeseed Oil was the one ingredient that I don't keep in the house.  I use Olive Oil, Canola Oil, and Vegetable Oil, but none were good for this recipe.  It is practically odorless so I knew it would be perfect.  And isn't the bottle awesome?


The sugars and spices absorbed the oil quickly.


It really took very little time to get everything nice and wet.


I used these 4 ounce jelly jars to pack the sugar scrub.  I tapped the surface so some of the oil would rise to the top and cover the sugars.


I used a charm pack (5 x 5 inch squares of pre-cut assorted fabrics) of Christmas fabric to top the jars and make them cute.


Rudy was interested for the first 5 minutes then opted for a nap.


The first double batch made 10 jars, so I made another double batch.  This time I used a strainer to sift the ingredients.  This step was probably not necessary  but I really wanted everything mixed well, and honestly, it was fun and I liked seeing those fine grains.


You can see that it got everything nice and incorporated, but took far less time.


For the final touch, I glued these holly and berry decorations to mini clothes pins and clipped them onto a pipe cleaner I wrapped around the lid.  A little card (also clipped to the clothespin) let the receiver know what the treat was and how to use it.  I signed the back so they would know it was from me.


I put the goodies right back into the box the jars came in to take them to work.


Gingerbread Sugar Scrub
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
4 drops vanilla
1 cup grapeseed oil

In a medium-sized bowl, combine all ingredients except the oil.  Using a wooden spoon, blend ingredients thoroughly, making sure to break up any lumps of brown sugar or spice. 

Add oil and blend thoroughly.  Spoon into storage containers with tight-fitting lids.

For more homemade spa recipes go to Bath and Body Recipes.  The website is an older one, but you can find some real gems there.