Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Unplugged

I spent the morning getting all the food ready for our camp out Thanksgiving.  No microwave, stove, or oven means that I had to think a little differently this year, but I didn't want to give up on the traditional foods I look forward to.  One of those is stuffing.  I love the flavor, but also the smell of the holy trinity of cooking (carrot, celery, onion) sauteing on the stove.  Amazing.  


 Once I had everything prepped, I packed the food into baggies for the cooler.  We are having turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberries, and green beans.  This should take about 20-30 minutes to cook when the time comes.  I will wrap a little of everything in foil (1 pack for each of us) and bury it in the hot coals.


Don't worry.  I also made sweet potatoes with dried cranberries, cinnamon, a touch of butter, and apples to go with our meal.  You didn't think I would forget the sweet potatoes, did you?  I used pineapple juice to keep the apples from turning brown and yucky.  These will take 20-30 minutes as well.


With Thanksgiving meal ready to wrap in foil to toss on the coals, I got my other meals pulled together.  I soaked some raisins in apple juice to plump them up.  I really like what this does for the flavor of raisins in baking, but also it improves the texture.


 These I sprinkled on top of sweet potatoes and pineapple with a little butter and brown sugar.  Perfect for our vegetarian guest.


 I made our meal just like hers, but added ham and did not use the raisins.  These foil packs will get tossed on the coals and cooked for 20 minutes.


The last meal to ready is a lunch.  I sliced and diced onion, mushrooms, red and green peppers, squash and zucchini and tossed them with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.  These will be great with some chicken breasts on the fire.


Now the food is in the cooler, drinks are in another cooler, and all the food not needing to be kept cold is in bags.  This includes a sampling of the breakfasts I made this past weekend (Scones and Kolaches and Biscuits. Oh My!)


And we are off.  Can't wait to be at the fire, relaxing, and taking lots of new photos, and enjoying the company of friends and family.  No cell phones.  No computers.  Unplugged.  Happy Thanksgiving to you all.  I am sure I will have a lot to share when I get back.