Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sausage and Cheese Kolaches. Yum.

I have been wanting to make kolaches since Breck and I went to the Kolache Festival in Caldwell, TX back in September.  They are a wonderful breakfast food and perfect for my freezer stock.

The dough is easy enough to make in the bread machine, but you could also make it by hand.  The first time I made these back in the early 1990's I didn't have a machine and they turned out great.


After making the dough, divide it into 10 even pieces.  Flatten one at a time into a small rectangle about 5" x 2 1/2" and place a breakfast sausage link and small slice of cheddar in the center.


Really any cheese will do and you could use turkey sausage links if that is your preference.  You could also use ground sausage, onion, and cheese or even bacon crumbles and cheese.  You get the idea.

Roll them, pinch them, and place them on a greased cookie sheet or parchment paper ( I prefer the parchment) and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes.  I turn off my oven, open the door, and let them rest for 3 more minutes in the slow cooling oven.


Of course I couldn't wait for breakfast.   For the blog's sake I needed a picture, right?


These will be so good with juice  for a quick breakfast out the door.

Sausage and Cheese Kolaches
2/3 Cup warm milk
1/3 Cup warm water
2 Tablespoons and 2 teaspoons melted shortening
1 beaten egg
3 2/3 Cup all-purpose flour
1/3 Cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 package active dry yeast
10 breakfast sausages, cooked
10 slices cheddar cheese

Place all ingredients (except sausage and cheese) in bread machine and process on dough setting.  Divide dough into 10 portions.  Roll each into a 5 inch x 2 1/2 inch rectangle and wrap around prepared sausage and cheese slice.  Place seam side down on greased baking sheets (or parchment lined) and let rise 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until golden.  Turn off oven, open door, and let rest 3 minutes more.