Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cute and Functional

Ever since I began stocking my freezer with meals for the month ( Now to Put My Feet Up ), I have struggled with keeping track of what I have and what I need.  I tried the list on a piece of paper, but that didn't work for me.  Then I found an idea on Pinterest from The Creative Mama.  She uses this to plan her weekly meals, but with a little tweaking I knew it would be great for me to catalog my freezer.

I opted not to use a frame.  I wanted something less bulky looking.  I picked up an artist's canvas board for a couple dollars to serve as the back and some scrapbook paper, mini clothes pins, paint, glue, and magnets.  The first step was to pop the springs off the clothes pins and paint them to coordinate with the scrapbook paper.


Then I Mod Podged the pretty paper to my artists board and let it dry over night.


After it was dry, I coated the paper with Mod Podge (just like my Christmas Clip Boards).


I was in a quandary as to what to use for my little boxes.  The paper itself would not be strong enough.  I went digging in the pantry and found two boxes of Jell-O and knew the size would be perfect.  I opened them both up and cut  a little off the top to make a nice straight edge.


These got Mod Podged as well with paper, then the excess paper was cut to match the box.  The one in the foreground is cut and ready to go.  Yep.  That's my Kracken all in my business.  Caught him in a big yawn.


I folded the boxes back into their original shape.


Last thing to do was to attach the magnets to the back of the board, glue down the clothes pins and boxes, and let it dry one more time.


Now I have a system in place that is functional and, I dare say, cute.


I printed little cards to write the items on.  Things I have in the freezer go in the top box, used items (I will reuse the cards) and blank cards are in the bottom one.   I may laminate these so I can write on them and wipe them clean to use again.


I can clip the cards with the clothes pins (one for each day of the week) to remind me to pull food out to thaw.


Now that I have a method for my madness I'm ready to plan some meals, grocery shop, and get some more cooking done.