Sunday, November 4, 2012

Brussel Sprout Flat Bread

While in Comfort, Texas last weekend, Breck and I ate a great restaurant called The Plaid Goat.


Warm and cozy inside and a great garden setting on the outside.


I had one of the best appetizers I have ever eaten.  It's the last special on the board; a flat bread with brussel sprouts, onion, and bacon.


Loved the setting at night on the patio after a day of hiking.


The inside was packed with people not ready for the first chilly night of the season.


The desserts were just as amazing.  Pear Cranberry Crisp for me.


Chocolate Bread Pudding with Carmel Sauce for Breck.


But back to the flat bread.  I wish I had taken a picture before we devoured 90% of it, but I didn't AND my focal point was the fork.  Lame.


Now that I have told you the long version, I'll get to the recipe this meal inspired me to make.

Brussel Sprout Bacon Flat Bread
1 10" flat bread (recipe follows)
3 slices of bacon, chopped
2 slices of onion, quartered
2 handfuls of brussel sprouts, sliced
1/4 cup (or a little more) grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 cup crumbled feta (would have used goat cheese if I had had it)
2 Tablespoons green onion tops sliced
1 to 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat oven to 500 degrees with pizza stone on middle rack.  Saute bacon until almost cooked through. Drain off all grease reserving 1 Tablespoon.  Add onion and brussel sprouts cooking until bacon is crisp, onion is soft, but brussel sprouts still have some bite to them.


Drizzle olive oil over flat bread and top with bacon mix, both cheeses, onion, and salt.


Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake on pizza stone 10-12 minutes.  Slice and serve with red pepper flakes on the side.


The Plaid Goat version had arugula piled high on top and I liked it.  I just didn't have any in the refrigerator.  They also used chive infused olive oil, but I sprinkled green onion tops over the flat bread.

Flat Bread
You can use store bought or pizza dough, but I found this to be very tasty and really easy to make.
Mix 1 3/8 Cup warm water, 3/4 Tablespoon yeast, 3/4 Tablespoon salt, 1/2 Tablespoon sugar, and 1/8 Cup olive oil in a large bowl.  Add 3 1/4 Cup all purpose flour and stir until mixed.  Drizzle with olive oil, cover and let rest on counter for 1 1/2  hours.


 It will be sticky. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead to make smooth (just a few strokes) working in more flour as needed.  Divide into 4 parts.  Each part makes 1 - 10" flat bread.  Lightly sprinkle with corn meal, turn over, sprinkle with more.


 Freeze unused dough or leave in refrigerator for up to a week.