Sunday, October 28, 2012

Lost Maples State Park

The day began gloomy and cold with a strong wind.  Of course that did not deter us from munching down breakfast at the B & B and heading for Lost Maples State Park to do some leaf spotting and hiking.  As we made the scenic drive out of Comfort, the clouds began to break up.


It didn't take long for the sun to warm things up a little into the 50s.  Perfect for hiking.


An hour later we found ourselves at our destination.


We have plans to visit many more parks, so we opted to buy a year long pass (and a sweatshirt for me).


The trail was well marked and the vegetation still lush to spite the season.


Though if you look, you can see some color beginning to creep in.



Yes, we still have wildflowers blooming in Texas.


The hill country is prone to flash flooding with minimal rain.  The rains that fell in advance of our arrival meant that many small streams in the park had water.


Okay, give me a little leeway here to take an artsy shot.  I loved this stump and its colors against the woodsy backdrop.


Um.  One more?  These native grasses blowing in the wind just caught my eye.


Of course who could resist a sign like this that takes you off the main path?  Are you curious, George?


Yep.  There it is.


Photo op.  Not many pictures of me . . . ever . . . but now there is proof I exist.  Note I have already shed the sweatshirt I bought.  The day warmed up nicely.


While taking this shot, a Park Ranger passed by and commented on it being the only red tree in the park.  She was kidding, of course, but we are only at the beginning of the season so the color was sparse.


Funny.  Even the moss was changing color.


The hike to the top was arduous and long.  I was so tired by the top, but took many photo opportunities as an excuse to stop and catch my breath.


I don't take very good long range shots, but I wanted you to see the view.


Okay.  I figured out a way to show the view AND get a close up of interest.


After the hike down there was still a plethora of beauty to snap.



And then there was this guy.  Never saw a tarantula in the wild before.  Such a lucky find.


The last of the early color was along the edge of the trail out.


And since the sun had come out and warmed things up, the shade at the end was more than welcome.


Hikes end.  Well worth it.  Loved this park.


How about you?  Do you enjoy the great outdoors?

See more of our Texas State Park Adventures