Monday, October 29, 2012

Another Day, Another Park

After packing our bags, loading the car, and turning in our key to the cutest little cabin ever, Breck and I headed to Junction, Texas to take in the views of the South Llano River State Park.  


We checked in at the Ranger's office to pick up a map and headed to the trail head.  Can you believe we had the whole place to ourselves?  And look at that blue sky!  Only in the fall can you get that color in TX.


We noticed right away that this park was very different from the Lost Maples State Park we visited the day before.


First of all, it is located on a river.  I love the reflections in the calm water.



And there was more fall color here than we had seen before.


Even the trails differed, these being more flat and foot friendly.


Breck was still Breck though, thank goodness.  He was so sweet carrying my camera bag so I could change lenses at whim.


Look at these yellows.  Pictures do not do it justice.  As I have said before, I really struggle with landscape photography.


But you get the idea.


I could not get enough of the reflections.  In the past I have focused (is that a pun?) on moving water.


And the "weird" award of the day went to this cactus growing in the trunk of a tree.  So cool.


This canopy of yellow leaves was such a treat.


The pond at the end of our hike was a great spot to take a rest in the shade.  Again more water reflections.


And how about this tree arch?  Cool, right?


And a park post would not be complete without some wild life.  These guys were so patient with me.


As we left the park, we stopped to see this old barn on the side of the road.  If you have followed me for long you know how excited I was by this find.


And last but not least, I had to get in my artsy shot.  Can you see Breck in the background?


So we are off to a great start on our goal to visit every Texas State Park.  We plan to return to this one in March when the Wild Turkeys come in to mate and to do some kayaking.  Anybody out there been to another state park that they recommend to plan to see next?

See more of our Texas State Park Adventures