Saturday, September 22, 2012

First Day of Fall: Coffee and Scones

Horray!  Horray!  Welcome, the first day of fall.  If you followed me at all last year you know this is by far my favorite season.  Pumpkins, apples, and cider.  Colorful leaves, crisp breezes, and the bluest skies of the year.  Just a few reasons to love fall.

My husband, in his infinite wisdom of all things Sandi, bought me (us) a French coffee press for my birthday.  I have wanted one for a few years now since being served the most amazing coffee from a press at our table while on a fall leaf viewing cruise around the New England/ Canadian coast.


He was home this morning for breakfast, before heading to Austin to pick up our son to cheer on the Cowboys in Dallas, so we broke it in on the porch.


They are so easy to use and the coffee is SO strong.  Just the way I like it.


Just add coarse grinds (I used Texas Pecan coffee), hot water, and steep.


The grounds are then pressed to the bottom leaving the rich flavored brew on top.


There is just something wonderful about sipping hot coffee outside.  Not fun in summer, but the fall air is perfect for such a simple pleasure.


Of course I had a little something to serve on the side.  There was an apple in the refrigerator just begging to be used in something great, so I made some Oatmeal Apple Scones to go along with the coffee.  I added a cinnamon glaze for more cinnamon flavor (1 cup 10x sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 2 tbs milk).


Obviously from the empty pot and clean plates we quite enjoyed our breakfast on the porch.


Now to get in my sewing room.  I have a project that may surprise you.