Sunday, September 23, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls

I have become completely obsessed with egg rolls lately.  It's true, and I do not need a 12 step program to help me get over it.  I would never make it past step one.  Besides, egg rolls are a good thing.  I've made ham and cheese with sliced deli ham and Swiss, Mexican with seasoned taco meat, green chilies, and cheddar, and  Carnita egg rolls with shredded pork and slaw.  Now Buffalo Chicken with shredded chicken, wing sauce, green onion, slaw, and flavored cream cheese.  Can you say wonderful?  Here is what I did.

Place 2 chicken breasts in water and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 10 minutes partially covered, turn off heat and let sit in water for 10 more minutes.  Remove the chicken and shred with 2 forks.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

While Chicken is cooking, melt 3 tbs butter in a sauce pan.  Add 1 clove of minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds.  Stir in 1/4 cup ketchup and 1/4 cup Frank's Hot Sauce.  Taste and see if you want more Frank's at this point.  Simmer for 5 minutes, then toss in the chicken, stirring to coat.

Place a generous handful of slaw mix in a microwave safe bowl and cook uncovered for 2 minutes on high (this helps remove some of the moisture from the veggies and softens them slightly).

Slice the tops (green part) of 4 green onions to make about 1/4 cup.

Mix softened 8 ounce cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese) with a tbs of Ranch Dips mix (Hidden Valley).   I know that blue cheese is traditional, but my husband always gets Ranch in the restaurant.



To assemble; wet edges of 16 egg roll wrappers (one at a time) with water, place large tsp of cream cheese, a large pinch of slaw, a sprinkle of onion tops and 2 tbs of chicken on an egg roll wrapper.


Fold and wrap.


Spray with cooking spray on all sides and place on a rack over a foil covered cookie sheet.  I have now changed how I bake my egg rolls.  I find the heat circulates around them better if I put them on a rack.  They also get more crisp, which is a good thing.


Bake 425 degrees for 20 minutes, turning half way through.  Serve with more Frank's on the side.  See how crispy the wrap gets?


These are so good.  They will be great for lunches, though I had two for dinner tonight.


Makes 16, with some chicken (depending on the size breast you poached) and cream cheese left over for sandwiches.  I'm thinking a hamburger bun, toasted, with cream cheese, chicken, shredded cabbage, and more Frank's would be outstanding.