Saturday, September 29, 2012

Almond Cookies

I have a basket in my pantry that is filled with lots of baking goodies.


A few too many, really.  Sometimes I forget I have things before I go shopping and end up with too much.


Sometimes I buy for a recipe that I never get to.  Either way, I needed to use up some of these goodies.


I found a large bag of slivered almonds which became the beginning of an idea.


I put 7 ounces of almonds into my food processor and ground them to oblivion (about 20 seconds).  I added 4 tablespoons of rice flour I had left over from an Almond Ricotta Cake I made and threw that in with 1 cup of sugar and a pinch of salt.  Another spin in the processor just to mix, then in went 2 egg whites, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp of almond extract.  I blended that until it was a nice moist dough.


I used my favorite scoop to make tablespoon drops of dough on parchment paper for baking.


After this photo was taken I pressed them slightly with the bottom of a glass to flatten just a little.


Into a 350 degree oven for 14-16 minutes then cooled on a rack.  Yield: 20 cookies.


And because I had so much semi sweet chocolate in my basket (and because it's chocolate) I made a glaze of 4 squares of semi sweet baking chocolate and 1 teaspoon canola oil in the microwave (directions on the box) and used a sandwich bag with a corner cut off to drizzle the wonderful melted goodness over the cookies.


Into the freezer to flash freeze for packaging so Breck and I can pull one at a time to thaw for a treat.


I did hold a couple back.  We had to try them and see if they were worthy.  They were.  Chewy on the inside and perfect with milk.  And as it turns out, they are gluten and dairy free (no fatty butter).  Also, almonds are a great source of fiber, vitamin E, and protein and its fat is monounsaturated.


Substitutions can be made in the recipe with good results.  I used rice flour, but others can be used.  The canola oil (chocolate glaze) can be switched out as well.  I was using up the last of what I had in the bottle to get the container off my shelf.  Semi sweet chips would easily make the glaze (1/2 Cup) versus the baking bars.  All that said, you could probably change the nut to pecan or walnut if that is what you had.  I love a flexible cookie.

I also gave myself permission to set aside my Dear Jane to work on another project.  More on that another day.