Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Now to Put My Feet Up

My summer is just about over and it's time to get my ducks in a row to go back to work.  I came across a website this week that intrigued me and would also help me accomplish that goal;  Once a Month Mom.  This lady is one hard worker.  Once a month she posts menus for traditional and vegetarian, gluten/dairy free and whole food diets.  The plan is to shop, prep, and cook for a months worth of meals in 2 days.   I just had to give it a try.

I chose her August 2011 Whole Foods compilation with just a few modifications and choosing to cook for 2.  It generated a grocery list for me(simple, right?), then I shopped.  It went quickly with a list.


Then the real work began.  Chop, chop, chop.


I didn't do all the chopping.  I did turn some of the heavy work over to my food processor.  These are sun dried tomatoes for the stuffed flank steak.


Truthfully, the cushy mat on the floor helped in it's own way as well.


As I chopped, sliced, and diced, I marked off my list with yellow highlights.  So much easier than printing it.


Well, that was day one.  All in all about 2 1/2 hours of time (1 shopping and 1 1/2 chopping).  Day two it got crazy, but with all the prep done the day before it all came together.  While muffins were baking I made zucchini cakes.


While the quiche was in the oven, I made a stuffed flank steak.  Remember the sun dried tomatoes?


And while the summer vegetable chowder and the quiches cooled, I made labeled bags to get it all stowed away in the freezer.


The labels have directions on cooking or reheating.


The last items put away were my sausage, egg, and cheese muffins.  May tap that for breakfast tomorrow, though I made enough for 6 servings.


Now my freezer if full.


Here is what I now have stocked and ready for the month.

4 - 19 oz. servings of Summer Vegetable Chowder (plus an extra for Breck to take for lunch tomorrow)
2    Spinach and Tomato Quiches (each serves 2 people with probable left-overs)
12  Sausage and Cheese Balls (3 is a serving).  Great for breakfast
9    Zucchini/Carrot Cakes for lunches or side dish with dinner
2    Pork Loins marinading and ready for a crock pot for Mexican Carnitas for two meals.
9    Homemade Butter Tortilla for the Carnitas
2    Flank Steak Pinwheels for 2 meals
1    Roasting Chicken seasoned and ready to bake
4    Cilantro Lime Chicken Breasts with homemade Salsa Verde
9    Carrot Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling (breakfast or dessert?)
12  Sausage, Cheese, and Onion muffins (more like little omelets)
2    Hash brown potatoes made on the waffle iron.  Yep.  I did it.


A list on the freezer door will make it much easier to see what I have and what I have used.


It really wasn't too bad!  I really think I will do it again, but I will customize my own menu.  I will use OAMM's strategies, though.  And now I have my feet up relaxing with the Rangers and Yankees.