Thursday, August 2, 2012

Grilled Cheese Evolved

If you are like me, one of your cheap, go-to meals when you were first starting out was a grilled cheese sandwich (American Processed Cheese Food slice on white bread).  If you were feeling especially "rich" you might even add a bowl of Campbell's Tomato Soup (you even used milk not water!) as a veggie on the side.  As time went by the soup became a regular attender and your tastes evolved, so you sprinkled some ground black pepper or oregano on it to add a bit of class and make it feel more "homemade."  Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I am a little more daring in the kitchen now, but still love a good grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup.  The key here is "good" grilled cheese.  I love to add thin slices of granny smith apples, Smoked Gouda and bacon on whole grain bread.  Chipotle mayonnaise is great with a creamy Havarti, ham, and tomato on sour dough.  Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

I needed a quick meal for dinner after a day of chores and scoured my pantry and fridge to see what I had to work with.


With a little pesto spread on to a buttered slice of Country French bread I was off to a good start.


Creamy mozzarella, crunchy onion slices and ripe tomato sounded good too.


With a couple slices of turkey I knew I had a winner.


How can you say no to this?


I added some sliced apple on the side and called it finished.


I loved the crispy outside of the bread after grilling.


The only thing that would have made it better would be a bowl of homemade (real homemade) tomato soup.  I have a great recipe  for Roasted Tomato Soup that I love, and with tomatoes in season I should drag it out and make a pot.