Monday, August 6, 2012

Chalkboard Pantry

If you spend any time looking at home decorating ideas on your computer you have probably seen people using chalkboard paint in all sorts of ways.  I am not alone, apparently, in my love of using functional items in decorating.  After someone used the last of the ketchup (you shall remain nameless) and didn't let me know, I decided I would give chalkboard paint a try on my pantry door.  Maybe with a place to note when the last of something is used I won't find myself ketchupless again.

I gave the door a good wipe down to get rid of any greasy fingerprints.


Blue painter's tape help me get a crisp line.


Because I am paranoid about bleeding paint, I rubbed the edges of the tape with a card to get the best seal I could.  We shall see if it worked.


Once the taping was complete, I lined a small painter's tray with plastic wrap and poured in some of my tinted primer.


The tint reduces the number of coats of paint I will need to apply and the plastic wrap will make cleanup easy when I switch from primer to paint.  I asked the lady at Lowe's to add the tint for me.


The primer went on easily with a low nap roller.


Looks a little blue, don't you think?


Now the waiting; 30 minutes between coats to go from wet and shiny to dry and dull.


After giving the dried primer a quick wipe down with some 600 grit sandpaper to remove the burrs, I gave it a second coat.  The cleanup was easy thanks to the plastic wrap.


Once dry I gave it one more light sanding and brought out the chalkboard paint.


Now the 1st of 3, maybe 4, coats is done.


Each coat will dry and cure for 12 hours.


Even with the tape still on the door I can tell I am going to like love it.


I can't wait to share the final result.  More on this in a few days.