Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tide Pools at Sunrise

I really enjoy getting up early and having the house to myself.  I get to enjoy my coffee in peace before the bustle of the day begins.  This apparently is true of me on vacation as well.  I am up by 5:30 or 6:00 and try to slip out the door without waking anyone.  I took advantage of this and headed down the beach to a place I was told had great tide pools.  It was true.  I had the whole place to myself, too.  Literally not a soul on the beach but me.  I took well over 400 pictures and exhausted my battery.  Here is what I got.

Tide pool Laguna, California
Woods Cove, Laguna Beach, California
California Mussels tide pool Laguna Beach, California
California Mussels
Purple Urchins
Laguna Beach, California tide pool
Out of a prehistoric age . . .  a Chilton
Laguna Beach, California tide pool with deep hole
Tide pool with a deep hole
Lime green and black crab
Mussel bed
Pink Coralline Algae and anemone
I was lucky to find beautifully colored starfish
Purple Urchin
Red Crab
The plant life was just as amazing.



Waiting for the tide to come in.
Urchins
Anemone
Crab
These guys were fighting at one point
There are two fish in this picture.  Can you find them?
Anemone
Owl Limpet
What an amazing experience.  I still can't believe I had the place to myself.  Oh to have had an underwater camera.  It's not easy taking pictures through the water's surface.  The light plays such a factor as does stirring sand.