Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Best Photo Experience Ever

While in Idaho, my son and his wife took me to Mackay, Idaho for a day trip of history and picture taking.  It truly took my breath away.  Our day began in the small town at the base of  Mine Hill where we picked up a tour map (free).  The town itself had some interesting buildings.

Main Theater opened in 1917
In 1935 it was a bar selling beer in fourth and half gallon jugs.
Suspender with a real stretch.  Love it.
We could not have asked for a more beautiful day as we headed up the hill.  Blue skies and white billowy clouds.  Lovely.  Made for a perfect view of the town below and the mountains beyond.

Dust in the air made the mountains look hazy.
All the sites were fantastic (20 in all but we could only reach 16 . . . barely 16 . . . in my car) but two stood out in my mind as amazing.  Amazing for a couple reasons.  For one it was free.  Where can you go and see our American pioneer spirit for free?  Secondly, it was unobstructed.  No fence, no sign saying "do not touch," no "say on path."   The only thing asked of us was that we not remove any of the artifacts.  We could get up close and see every hand driven nail, milled piece of lumber, and example of 100 year old joinery.

Site 3:  Cossack Tunnel and Compressor Building


The Compressor Building was built in 1917-1918 to supply steam for the air compressors used by the miners to power drills and jack hammers.
A picture on the sign shows the building in better days
Amazing that that the thin lace of wood and tin are still standing at all.
You can see how large this building is.

Stairs to the second floor that no longer exists.
What is holding this guy together?
Let me pause for a moment here to say that this is why I love to photograph old buildings.  How much longer will this beautiful building stand?  Will it look just like this when the next person takes a picture, or will a wind have torn another tin panel from the roof or a rafter from the ceiling?  I was in awe.  Ask Trevor and Regan.  I could not stop commenting on what an experience this was for me to see and touch a piece of history.  Now more pictures.

Many machinery parts have been buried by rock slides.
What did all these pieces do?
The Cossack Tunnel entrance



This was the view heading to the next site.


Site 8 Aerial Tramway Headhouse

Loading station for a gravity powered aerial tramway.
Back in the day it looked like this.
Ore was brought here from a tunnel, and loaded into buckets that ran on cables to the bottom of the hill.

Some of the rails are still intact.
I know I have overwhelmed you with photos on this post.  I had a difficult time narrowing down my shots.  I took about 450 this day.  Since I could not put them all here I have made a Flickr set for those not seen here. Click here if you would like to see more shots.  Give it a few days for me to get them all on there.  Just check back to see what's new.