Monday, July 2, 2012

Another Travel Kit Item

Today I knocked out one of the two remaining sewing kit projects I want to make.  This one is for keeping my applique blocks flat when traveling.  I got the inspiration from a child's soft book.

I began by cutting two front covers, two back covers and two spine pieces adding a 1/4" seam allowance.  I made it plenty large enough to accommodate my 5" blocks and the triangles I will eventually be working on.


I used leftover batting (verses felt I would need to run to town to buy) for the pages.  I made 8 of them, sewing a zig zag stitch on 3 sides to help them keep their shape.


After sewing one back and front cover to each of the spines to complete what will be the inside and outside of my book, I used iron on batting to help give the book more body.  I sewed these to the wrong side of the outer cover, leaving the spine uncovered.


Then I sewed a 1/4" seam around the covers after pinning them right sides together, leaving an opening for turning.


I ran a top stitch around the cover like I did with the eye glass case, so I did not need to whip the opening closed.  Then I took the stack of batting pages and stitched them to the back cover.


A button and some embroidery thread made a great closure.


Soft, but firm enough to stand up and hold it's shape.  This will be great for my blocks when the tin I carry them in is upright.


My little blocks fit great on the pages.  I now have every piece I need separated and ready to work on.  Batting is perfect for keeping the fabric from slipping.


With my blocks safely stored and buttoned shut, I am ready for travel.


Everything in my kit is coming together so nicely.


The last project I would like to do is to make a new roll for my needles, pins, and scissors.  The one I have is fine, but it does not match my other things.


You can see how the inside is laid out.    This will be fun to make . . . when I get to it.  Sewing needs to be put aside right now so I can get some other things in order.


It's been awhile since I have completed a Dear Jane block, though I have 6 prepped and ready.  I don't want to get behind.