Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Whole Wheat Farfalle and Sausage

I have been wanting to use whole wheat pasta for awhile now.  I bought some and stashed it in the pantry and basically forgot it was there.  As I perused the pantry tonight searching for dinner inspiration I found it.  Not wanting to go to the grocery store I whipped something up with what I had on hand.

In the freezer I had some leftover cooked sausage and some peas. 


I also had a full green pepper that needed to be used before it got all wrinkly, and some grape tomatoes and garlic.


It smelled wonderful.


I also needed to use up the ricotta cheese I had leftover from baking the Almond and Ricotta Cake this past weekend.  When it was all said and done I had a wonderful dinner that my husband loved, was very healthy, and emptied out my refrigerator.  Then I found this great program that took all my ingredients and made it into a recipe complete with nutritional information.  How fun is that!

Whole Wheat Farfalle and Sausage

Nutrition Info
  • Calories: 396.0
  • Fat: 18.6g
  • Carbohydrates: 38.1g
  • Protein: 20.2g

Ingredients

2 cups dried whole wheat farfalle pasta
6 oz ground sausage
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
6 oz (24 count) grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup frozen peas
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Directions
Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, chop green pepper, onion, garlic, and halve the grape tomatoes. When the sausage has fully cooked, drain the grease and add fresh vegetables, herbs, and the frozen peas to the meat. Cook stirring occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked to your personal liking. Add 1/2 cup of water and both cheeses. Stir until cheese has melted and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. Toss in the cooked pasta so that the sauce coats the noodles. Serve.

Serving Size: 4 2-cup servings

Number of Servings: 4   
You can lower the fat by using skim ricotta.  I just didn't have it in the house.