Friday, June 29, 2012

Social Butterfly

I don't know how it happened, but at some point this week I became social.  Really social.  Like, everyday-there-is-something-going-on social.  It all started last weekend when we entertained my son's in-laws.  Great company.  Then we went to the theater to watch a play with some other friends, and finished off the weekend spending time with our other son Cameron and his friend Daniella playing Pirate Flux into the night.


The social activities continued this week, as I spent a little time walking my neighbor Lucy's dogs, Jessie and Pepper, with her.  So nice to start the day with conversation.  During the school year my husband gets up early to have coffee and chat before I leave for work, but in the summer I let him sleep in.  I didn't realize I missed that until I started spending a little time with Lucy in the mornings.

Then I had a great sewing day and lunch with friends in town.  Wonderful to catch up with them, talk about movies and books, and get a little work done on my Dear Jane.

Another walk with Lucy looking for dead stuff on the side of the road.  I know it sounds odd, but a mountain lion has been spotted on the land across the street from my house (literally, right across the street), and with the buzzards hanging around we thought it might have made a fresh kill.  We have to be safe out here, right?  And no, I probably won't get pictures.

Can't stop the ball yet.  I had a very enjoyable visit with dear Ellen.  She has finished grad school and is heading to Dallas to start her career.  So nice for her to visit and spend a little time with me so I could get all caught up on her new apartment and her plans for summer travel before her move.

My dear friend Kristen hosted a nice dinner for a few of us ladies last night, which now gets you up to date.  She is so cute.  Look at these chalkboard coasters that she used to describe the food.



We had baked sweet potato fries . . .


. . . and turkey burgers with all the fixin's.


Fruit salad.


The blueberry juileps were so light and refreshing.



If I remember correctly, they were made from 1/4 cup of blueberries (muddled), 1 wedge of lemon, 1 Tbsp of brown sugar, 1 oz Jack Daniels, and 4 oz. of seltzer.  Yum.  And don't you love these little skewers with blueberries for garnish?  Such a well put together meal.  Thanks, Kristen.


I'm not done yet.  Tonight I have a cookout in Caldwell, TX at my friend Krystina's house, tomorrow a neighborhood bbq for lunch, then a party at my brother and sister-in-law's house in Houston.  Life is good.