Friday, June 8, 2012

Planning, Purchasing, and Prepping

You guys know I like to cook, right?  Of course you do.  That's one of the many reasons I love my summer break so much.  I have time to dust off the old recipe books (not the online ones) and pull out some old gems.  This weekend Breck and I are having a couple of our neighbors over and I am in seventh heaven.


Planning:
  • Goat cheese tray with fig jam, prosciutto, nuts and seeds, dried cranberries, honey, naan, pears, and crostini
  • Baked crab cakes with corn relish and horseradish sauce
  • Margarita Shrimp 
  • Parmesan cups filled with roasted tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil, drizzled with balsamic 
  • Cream Cheese stuffed cucumber 
  • Sweet chicken bites with brown sugar/cayenne glaze
  • Amaretto soaked cherries in white chocolate
  • Boston Creme Pie cupcakes
  • and of course white sangria
Purchasing - Now that I had my menu I needed to pick up a few things in town.
  • Grocery store for all the fixens (yes, it's a word Spell Check.  I live in the south.)
  • Liquor store for some Peach Schnapps (they didn't have my favorite so I'm trying something new)
  • Bed Bath and Beyond for some cute serving plates
Only $2.99 a piece so I picked up a cute spatula to serve the crab cakes as well.
Then it was Prep time.
  • Parmesan cups made - check
Just Parmesan cheese baked at 375 degrees for 6 minutes and draped over a glass.
  • Oven roast corn for relish - check
Remove silk, but leave the husks.  350 degrees for 30 minutes when the grill is not an option.
  • Cherries soaking - check
Cut small slits in the cherries so they can absorb the Amaretto.
  • Cupcakes baked - check

  • Cucumbers sliced and scooped - check
I used my 1/2 teaspoon to scoop out the seeds
  • Pears ripening - check 
Place a banana or apple in a brown bag to ripen pears quickly on the counter.
I will be all ready to throw it all together tomorrow morning without much fuss.  After all, I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen tomorrow so I am too tired to enjoy my guests.

And look who decided to have a crack at the bird feeder.


He didn't last long.  The roof was just too slippery for his feet.  If he keeps coming back I may need to give him a name.  Something like Scooter or Slider.

Part 1  Planning, Purchasing, and Prepping
Part 3:  Ta Da!