Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Drapes in the Dining Room

I have been busy the last 2 days with a project that was not on my list, but that I felt really needed to be done . . . for a couple of reasons.  It all began when I moved my grandmother's paintings out of the dining room and hung them in my bedroom.  Doing so left a void that I really needed to fill.  Remember this?


Then I filled some frames with magazine covers.


It was still missing something.  I needed some texture and thought drapery panels would do the trick.  $43 later I had purchased some fabric for drapes and lining at Joann's for 50% off, picked up a couple 18" rods and rings from Bed Bath and Beyond for $20 a piece, and was ready to do some domestic sewing.

Similar to a muslin with more texture
I squared up the fabric.


Folded up a 4 inch pocket on the bottom and 1 1/2" sides and pinned in place.


I made a lining 1" narrower than the drapery panel and finished the bottom edge with a small hem.  Then tucked in the raw edges of the lining under the 1 1/2' side hems and stitched it in place.


Of course, my inhibitors needed to lend a hand paw.

Kracken playing in the fabric under the ironing board
Rudy trying to get in a nap in a panel on my sewing table
After making 2 of these (I left the header seam undone for now), I gathered my tools to hang the hardware.



After the hardware was up, I tested the length and finished the header hem.  Now they are hung, just as the rain is coming in.  Even in the afternoon the window is dark under a cloudy sky.  We need the rain, and I'm happy to have it.



So the dining room is coming along.  I did say I started this project for 2 reasons.  One was to add a layer of texture to the dining room, but the other was to test my skills at drapery making on a relatively inexpensive project.  Being happy with the results means I will probably make the drapes for the guest room, which is on my summer list.