Monday, June 18, 2012

Blueberry Tart

I planned to bring the dessert to our family's Father's Day cookout.  I thought chocolate, though awesome, would be too heavy and rich for a cookout.  Fruit would be great for summer, but what to choose between pie, parfait, or an ice cream fruit sauce?  I opted for a tart, and the blueberries seemed the way to go.  There are so many recipes out there, but I found one that I really wanted to try at My Plate or Yours?

After reading the recipe I found that 98.8% of the work (I did the math) was in the crust.  Crazy, right?

Step 1:  Mix the ingredients.

It called for butter (not the shortening that I am used to in pie crusts) and an egg yolk, so this was  new for me.


 I will say, the dough was very easy to work with.


Step 2:  Sprinkle of flour, wrap in plastic, chill 1 hour.


Step 3:  Roll the dough and fit it to a tart pan.


Step 4:  Chill for 30 more minutes.

Step 5:  Bake for 30 minutes filled with rice.


Step 6:  Remove rice and bake some more.


Step 7:  Cool the shell so it can be filled.

After investing 3 hours in this dessert I questioned whether the tart was really going to be worth it.  A pie sure would have been easier.

The filling was easy.  Buttermilk, eggs, lemon.  Yummy.  All the ingredients, all at once, into the food processor.  Ta-da and done.  I told you all the work was in the crust.


The last step was to fill the shell with blueberries and to pour the buttermilk filling over top and bake.


I wish I had taken a better after shot, but I was whipped and it was dark.  This is it.  I didn't even get a shot of it out of its pan and on a plate!  I was tired.


Now, the answer to the big question.  Was it worth it?  Absolutely.  When we cut into it on Father's Day, and I tasted that crust I knew I would make it again.  I can't describe it.  Just amazing.  It may have made it into my regular summer rotation.  Check out the recipe at My Plate or Yours?