Sunday, June 24, 2012

and It's Gluten Free!

In our circle of family and friends we have many different food needs and restrictions.  It can make cooking a challenge.  Challenge is good.  This weekend we were working with gluten free.

I started the day by putting a pork butt roast in the crock pot.  So many recipes for crock pots have you adding a packet of dry onion soup powder, which is just not my style.  I made my own blend of seasonings for the roast with 1 Tablespoon each of garlic powder, parsley, black pepper, and sea salt, and 3 Tablespoons of minced dried onion.


I rubbed this on the roast, added 1/2 Cup of water and 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (yes, it's gluten free).


8 hours on low, set it, and forget it.

Crock pots are NOT just for cold weather cooking.
After 8 hours, the meat fell off the bone and I easily trimmed the fat off the meat.


I also drained all the fat out of the crock pot.  With 2 forks, I shredded the meat and added my homemade bbq sauce.  To make the sauce I put  3/4 Cup Ketchup, 1/2 Cut tomato sauce, 1/2 Cup cider vinegar, 1/2 pineapple juice, 3/4 Cup brown sugar, 1/4 Cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 water, 1 small chopped onion, and 1 Tablespoon chili powder for some kick.  Not my favorite sauce, but the pineapple really worked with the pork and slaw.


Speaking of slaw, I made a simple one with a rice vinegar, sugar, and oil dressing with small chunks of apple and red onion in it.  So good on the pulled pork sandwiches.


Some oven baked potatoes with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper rounded out the meal.


Now to the star of the meal.  The gluten free Almond and Ricotta Cake.  Oh my gosh!  This was so good.  I got the recipe at Luculillian Delights.  The texture was perfect, the moisture content was perfect, the flavor was perfect, and it was a hit.  I got to use my Farm Fresh eggs.  So good, and yes it makes a difference.

The whites slide out of the shells so easily when eggs are super fresh.
Grinding the almonds took no time at all.


Translating the recipe into our American measuring system was a fun challenge.  I got a scale (been meaning to do this for some time to help with more precise baking) so I could do the convergences.

100g ground almonds
You MUST make this cake.

I used the extra ground almonds to sprinkle on the cooled cake.
I mean it.  At some point in your life you must make this cake.

The cutting board was perfect for serving
A tip or two:  Bake at 347 degrees if you can, if not then 350, and bake for 25-30 minutes.  Also, the recipe does not specify the size of the cake pan, but I used a 9", greased and floured.  I almost blew it here, but at the last minute remembered to use the rice flour and not my AP flour.   People, it was really good.  I may add a little lemon zest next time to brighten up the flavor, but it really did not need it.