Sunday, May 6, 2012

Super Moon

If you were with me way back on February 6th for my Full Moon post, you know I have been looking forward to this weekend.  Super moon.  The moon, this weekend, was closer to the earth than at any other time of the year.  If you were outside last night you saw it.  You couldn't miss it.  It was huge.  I had my chair, tripod, camera (of course), and a good book (Stephen King's 11/22/63) and set out in my car to pick my spot.

I found what I thought would be perfect, set up with my book, and waited.  If you are wondering why I had a book when such a show was going on in the sky, it is because I was 1 hour early.  I didn't want to miss a thing.  Unfortunately, I had a bunch of trees in the way so I did not get any pictures of it cresting the horizon.  I also struggled with getting it in focus as it rose behind the trees.  The wispy clouds were interesting, though.


The trees did nothing to help with the scale.  The moon looked huge!


I got this shot as a small cloud floated in front of the moon.


I will get some more "moon photo taking" practice in before the next Perigee moon on June 23, 2013.  Mark your calendar.  And while you are at it, put down August 10, 2014 and September 28, 2015.  Yep.  Perigee moon.