Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bokeh

I know that many of you may be a bit tired of all the photography that does not include food, sewing, crafts, more food, my inhibitors or some kind of project.  When I am off for the summer in 3 more days I will have a lot more time on my hands and many projects that will need my attention.  Until then (that's 3 more days) I have a couple more things to take care of.

My 52 Week challenge this week is "bokeh."  Bokeh means blur.  In photography it means changing the aperture on your camera blah . . . blah blah blah . . . blah (insert real big words here that are not important to this post) and blurring out portions of your photo in a pleasing way.  Here is an example from two photos I took Memorial Day at Odd Fellow Cemetery.  See the difference?

Background in focus f9                                          Background blurred f3.5
Here are a few photos I took this weekend that focused (get the pun?) on bokeh.

This sweety was photographed at f6.3
Iris in my garden at f6.3
Tombstone from the late 1800's on Memorial Day in black and white at  f3.5
Indian Blanket or Firewheel near the Odd Fellow Cemetery f8
Wonderful guardian angel at Odd Fellow Cemetery f7.1
Love the shade pattern and tree bark texture at f4.5
I have relied on bokeh before, though I didn't know what it was called.  Here are a few older samples I like.

The focus is clearly on the amber beer at f4.5
You have seen this before, but it's one of my favorites at f4.5
Very confused butterflies here at f9
I did enjoy taking some black and white photos.  I want to play around and see if there is a differnce if you photograph b/w and change a color photo of the same subject to b/w.  Hmmm.
So which one do I choose for Week 22?