The Spanish used this flower to explain to the Native Americans they encountered the story of the Crucifixion of Jesus. The parts of the flower were used as symbols.
- The Passionflower leaf is spear shaped - the Centurion's spear used to pierce Christ's side
- 3 Stigmas - three nails or the Holy Trinity
- The flower has 5 stamen - the five wounds of Christ
- 10 petals and sepals -Ten apostles (sans Judas the betrayer and Peter, who denied Christ)
- The ring of 72 filaments -Christ's crown of thorns
- The purple color of the Passionflower - Christ as King
- Passionflower is a vine - God will support his children, they only need to hold on
- Vine tendrils - the lashes received by Christ
After reading this, I went back to get more photos to illustrate the parts of the flower. Unfortunately, the flower only lasts one day and there were no new blooms. I went ahead a made a graphic showing the parts of the flower from my original photo.
Here is a picture I was able to get of the leaves that look like spear heads.
I also read that I can cut an 8" piece of this plant, stick it in the ground, water it, and it might grow. I may try this. How cool would that be if it worked?
While trying to get more pictures of the flower, I noticed these others that I couldn't help but shoot.
|Butterfly Pea in deep shade|
And here is a future butterfly.
I guess you never know what you will find when you aren't looking.