Saturday, April 14, 2012

Matching Camera Strap

Last week I made a great, padded bag for my camera and lenses.  This week I worked on a strap for my camera to match.  My old strap was itchy on my neck and I wanted to make one that was softer.

I began by removing my old strap from my camera.


I only intend to cover the wide part that goes around my neck, so I measured this length.  It was 23 1/4" x 1".


Next I cut a strip of my fabric (left over from the bag) 25 1/4" long by 3" wide and a strip of batting 23 1/4" by 2 1/4".


I marked the center of the batting with a pen, and pinned it (centered) onto the wrong side of my fabric.


I ran a straight stitch down the center to help hold it in place for turning and to help keep it from twisting once strung only my strap.


Each end was then folded over and then over again (to make a clean edge) then sewn down.


Then I folded the fabric in half and stitched a 1/4" seam down the long side.


Seeing all these shadows in my pictures makes me think I need to get some better lighting in my sewing room.  Anyway, turning the strap inside right was a bear, but I did it.


Once that was finished I threaded my strap through the open ends.


TaDa.  Not bad for a first try.  It definitely makes for a more comfortable fit around my neck.


Next time I make one I will run more "quilting" stitches to hold the batting in place better, and I may make the fabric longer to cover more of the cord.  I also saw one at Scarves.net which makes one out of (you guessed it) a scarf.  Really cute.  And this one has a pocket at LBG Studio.