Monday, April 2, 2012

Looking on the Bright Side

I thought it would be nice to have some barbecue brisket, goat cheese cornbread, and mashed potatoes for dinner tonight.  Sounds good, right?  I washed and peeled a nice sized potato that would have been enough for Breck and me.


However, when I sliced it open to chop up for boiling I found a frustration.


Don't you just hate when that happens?


Since it was my only potato for mashing, it was not worth trying to salvage any of it.  It was not going to be wasted, though.


I chopped it up anyway and added it to my compost bin which had been fed well over the weekend with all the cooking we did with fresh vegetables and fruits.


Just look at all these goodies that could have been dumped in the garbage and piled into our local landfill.


Hopefully we will have a better summer this year and I can get some good compost for my garden.  Compost needs heat, but not 115 degree heat.  It also needs water, so cross your fingers that we have come to the end of this drought.