Monday, October 10, 2011

What a Weekend!

I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend with my sister-in-law Alicia and her boyfriend Chris.  It was so nice going to the Red Festival on Saturday and hang around and watch the rain on Sunday.  I did say rain.  I think we got more on Sunday that we have in the last 12 months combined.  It was awesome.  Today I took them to the airport and said good bye which means I have a bit of time now to catch you up on a few things.

I stuck to my Food Network Magazine Menu for every day save this morning.  My internet was down and my magazines were in a room where someone was sleeping so I could not get the recipe for the scones.  I plan to make them next weekend when we have more guests coming in.  (Love it)  I did make the Chicken Potpie, though, and it was really good.  I did tweek a few things as I sometimes do.

Light Chicken Potpie

Crust
1 Cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp milk





Filling
2 russet potatoes
4 1/2 cups   low sodium chicken broth
5 medium carrots, cut in chunks (I used 1 Cup shredded carrots)
2 tsp thyme
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 Tbsp flour
1/3 cup 2 % milk
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 rotisserie chicken, skinned and pulled into pieces
1/2 C Plain Greek Yogurt (I used sour cream)
1 Cup frozen peas (I used almost 2 Cups)
I also added 1 Cup frozen corn and 1 Cup green beans which are not in the recipe
I also added 1 can Cream of Potato Soup
1/2 Cup parsley (I did not use this)
Salt and Pepper

Prepare the crust: Pulse the flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor util combined.  Add the butter, one piece at a time, pulsing until the mixture looks like coarse meal.   Beat egg yokl and milk in a bowl, then add to the food processor, pulsing until the dough comes together.  Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball.  Flatten into a dist, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.

Filling: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Prick the potatoes with a fork and bake directly on the oven rack until tender about 45 minutes.  Cool, then peel and break into small pieces.

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and celery and cook until soft about 8 minutes. Add flour and stir until lightly toasted about 3 minutes. Add milk, carrots, potato, and broth, stir, and simmer 15 minutes until thick.  All all other ingredients, stir, and transfer to a lightly greased 2 quart casserole dish.  Roll the pastry dough to size and lay over the top of the filling.  Place in oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.


I'm pretty sure Alicia liked it.


I did find a little time to do a self manicure for Halloween.  Black crackle over orange.  I love Halloween.


One other thing in motion is that I took my cousins dress to the dry cleaner and now have it back.  It's time to take my brave pill and get to work on this project.  I will start by taking out the seams to get an idea of how much fabric I have to work with.  Then I'll get to making her pillow.  If you have no clue what I am talking about here, go to Wedding Dress Reinvent.