Monday, October 3, 2011

A Food Network Magazine Weekend

My mother gave me a subscription to Food Network Magazine some time ago.  I love the layout and the recipes are so well done.  However, cooking magazines can be so overwhelming.  Everything looks great, the pictures make you drool, and how could you ever know where to start?  I think I have the solution to this and another problem I am facing.






















My sister-in-law Alicia and her boyfriend Chris are coming to town for a visit this weekend.  We are so excited to have them here.  Actually, we just love having company.  I love to cook and entertain and weekend guests are the best which brings me to my second problem; how do I decided what to cook?  Yes, there are recipes I love and I could go that route, but how boring would that be.  So I think I will try something new.  I mean across the board new.  I am going to plan all my meals from my stack of 8 Food Network Magazines.  

You think I'm nuts?  Too many choices in 8 large magazines devoted to nothing but recipes?  Have you searched for recipes on the internet lately?  THAT is overwhelming.  Case in point is my simple search for a Chicken Pot Pie recipe.


How about Broccoli-Cheddar Soup.  (Note:  I am even specifying what kind of cheese)


Now those numbers are overwhelming.  No, I think my way is easier.  Many recipes are tossed out right away if they have ingredients I don't care for or if they are summer seasonal.  I am looking for fall, hardy, stick to your ribs and roll away from the table kind of dishes.

I need three breakfasts, two lunches, and two dinners so lets get started.  I first check out the Index.  No, I did not mean the Table of Contents.  FNM has an Index with a picture of each recipe divided into meals (Appetizer, Breakfast, Vegetable, Seafood, Drinks, you get the idea) and the page it is found on.  Love this.  I repeat.  Love this.


After looking at all the choices I think this is my menu.

Saturday

  • Breakfast- Buttemilk Pancakes with Vanilla Bean-Berry Syrup (January/February 2011)
  • Lunch- Ultimate Ham Sandwich (April 2011)
  • Dinner- Savannah Tailgater Chili (October 2011)
Sunday
  • Breakfast- Egg and Hash Brown Tacos (October 2011)
  • Lunch- left over Chili with 
  • Dinner- Light Chicken Potpie (January/February 2011)
Monday
  • Breakfast- Jumbo Maple-Pecan Scones (May 2011)
There will be some nibbles on Saturday and Sunday and some dessert, but those picks will have to wait until the Yankees are done playing.