Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fall Means Soup Around Here

With  a bit of a cold front pushing through, I knew it was time to make soup.  I love making soup when the air is cold.  I have a Baked Potato Soup that I make a lot (husband loves it), and decided to go that route.  After using baked potatoes instead of boiled earlier this week I wanted to try them in my soup that way.  I can say I will NEVER boil again.  The soup was lighter with the fluffy baked potato.  When they are boiled they get dense.

I started out by chopping up some onion, carrot and celery (including the leaves) and cooking up some bacon.  Yummy bacon.


Using the bacon grease I sauteed up the veggies.

I had baked a couple potatoes and peeled off the skins when they had cooled a bit.

Threw it all in a pot with some milk and sour cream and let it cook slowly for about 30 minutes.  The starch from the potato thickens it up.  Of course you need to add salt and pepper, but no other spices are really necessary for flavor.  Served it will some grated cheddar.


I also did some more work on my potholder.  Not perfect, but it is a prototype.  What do you think?


You can see I still have some sewing to do, but you get the idea.

I'll get some more done tonight.