Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cookies With Caramel and Cider Mix!!!

After grocery shopping for the weekend, putting clean sheets and towels out, and prepping some of the food I will cook tomorrow, I baked some cookies.  My friend Allie from work pinned a recipe on Pinterest that I thought sounded like fall and I wanted to give it a try.

Carmel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies from blogger Scrambled Henfruit


Ingredients
1 cup softened butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 box (7.4 oz) Alpine Spiced Apple Cider Instant Original Drink mix 
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups all purpose flour
1 bag Kraft Caramels (14 oz)

Preheat oven to 350.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.  In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.   In a separate bowl cream together butter, sugar, salt and 10 packages of apple cider mix until fluffy. 


Beat in eggs one at a time.  Add vanilla and mix well.  Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture.  Mix until just combined.  Refrigerate for about an hour.  

Unwrap the caramels.  Scoop out cookie dough  into Tbsp balls.   Have I mentioned I love my ice cream scoop for making cookies?


Flatten slightly and press unwrapped caramel into the center of the dough.  


Seal dough around and place on parchment covered cookie sheets 2" apart.  Bake 12-14 minutes.  When cookies are done, slide parchment off the baking sheet onto counter.  Allow to partially cool, then flip over and cool.  Makes about 4 dozen.



These are good cookies.  Though I confess I cut my caramels in half for some of them.  I'll test both on my guests and see what they think.  I am leaning toward whole caramel, but only 8 of the 10 packs of cider mix.