Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Yes, It's a Contridiction

I really don't like seafood.  I did at one time, but I haven't in years.  This was a problem when my husband worked for Landry's and then Joe's Crab Shack.  Lot's of seafood served there.  And it always looked so good and the presentation with bright yellow lemons and green parsley was always so appealing.  But no, I don't like seafood.

That being said I like tuna.  Grab a can of Chicken of the Sea and throw in some apple and celery, a bit of onion and pickle relish, a dollop of mayo and I am set.  Tonight there will be no Chicken of the Sea.  I splurged.  I don't know why but I did.  I bought two beautiful pieces of tuna.  I squeezed a lime, drizzled some olive oil and smeared on some garlic and I think we have the beginnings of a great meal.


Once it chilled in the refrigerator for a bit I made a spicy rub to give it some life.  Tuna can be dull.
1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper (I would have added more, but this emptied the jar)
  • 1 tsp tablespoon minced onion
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano


After mixing the spices I dredged the tuna in the mix and cooked in a hot skillet for 3 minutes per side.


This is going to be great with my homemade Peach Salsa, yellow rice, and veggies (zucchini, tomato, onion).


Yep, it was delicious.  Breck said so.


The blackening mix I made was great.  Nice and spicy without burning my mouth.  I will use this mix again and again.  It was also the perfect amount for the two tuna steaks.  I had none left over and yet there were no spots on the fish devoid of spice.

May get back in my sewing room tomorrow to work on my DWR and I still need to make that third pillow to go with Crackers.  I am thinking may be an owl pillow.  I have some newspaper in my recycling bin so I can work on a pattern tonight.