Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Vodka Makes Everything Better

I love sunrises and sunsets.  I watch the sunrise in the morning from the review mirror of my car as I head to work.  It always starts me out with a smile on my face.  The sunset in the evening with all the wonderful glowing colors just makes me feel amazed and relaxed.  I got this shot last night from my phone; not an iPhone so the quality isn't the best.

















I thought I would make pizza tonight, but ended up not in the mood.  However all the ingredients were set to go.  The perfect solution was quiche.  I love quiche.  I think it ties with pizza for its versatility.  Great for getting rid of left overs.

Starting with the crust I pulled out my mother's recipe.  I admit this recipe made me skeptical (you'll see what I mean when you read the ingredients) and is not the recipe I have used for the past 26 years.  I love that it is made in my food processor.

2 1/2 C flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbls sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/2 C shortening
1/4 C vodka
1/4 C water

Put 1 1/2 C flour, all salt and sugar in a food processor and give a quick 2 second pulse.  Add butter and shortening.


Pulse again for 15 seconds.  Scrape sides with a spatula and add remaining flour.  Give it 5 or 6 quick pulses and turn into a bowl.


 Sprinkle with vodka and water and fold in with the spatula.


Divide into 2 balls.  Turn onto plastic wrap and flatten into discs.  Wrap with plastic and chill for 45 minutes to 2 days.  Roll when ready.

All that said this recipe has my mind twirling with ideas:  peach flavored vodka and ground almonds in the dough,  vanilla vodka for a chocolate pie, need I go on because I can.  One note about this recipe; it is extremely pliable.  Unlike traditional crusts that are dry, this dough is more like cookie dough that can be shaped easily.  The vodka evaporates so the crust becomes. . .  well. . .  crusty.

Now to the quiche.  I'm thinking Italian sausage, garlic, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, red peppers and onion.   I toss this in the bottom of the crust.  I whipped 4 eggs and a good dousing of milk with some Italian herbs, stirred it up and poured over top.  I know, I know, this is vague.  But truly that is how I usually cook.  If I were pressed I would say it was 3/4 of a cup may be more, may be less.  Next time I'll measure.  Now in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes at 350.  I'll serve this with sliced tomato and fresh mozzarella drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt and pepper.  Done.