Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Screened Patio Is Getting Attention

I have been putting a lot of thought into painting the floor of my screened porch.  Can you see there is a cat begging at each door to go outside?

    

I took measurements and using Microsoft Excel (yes the spread sheet software) I created a 4" x 4" grid of the space marking the doors with black and the fireplace in the corner.


Okay, that was the easy part.  Now comes the design.  I know I want a 5' x 5' scrabble board on the floor but I don't know exactly where.  Furniture placement is the biggest consideration.  Here is where everything is now.


Seems logical that the board should be painted in front of the fireplace.  Even if I change out furniture, its placement is pretty ideal.


Not finished yet.  I still need to figure out how to paint the rest of the floor around the board so it looks like it is part of a design.  This isn't horrible, but I worry it looks too 70's.  I do like how the larger squares mirror what is going on in the game board.  Keep in mind that these color are too bright.  I would use something much more earthy.


And while I have been working on this, my dad had come up with a great design for the tile stand.  Remember, the squares on the floor are 4" so the lettered tiles will be 3 1/2".  Here is the prototype he brought by.


Looks great.  I think the plans are coming along nicely and I am getting excited about games by the fire this fall.  I still need to talk with some people at the paint store to see what the best way to do this project will be.