Monday, August 15, 2011

My Last Italian Post

                                                                                                                                                                 

We had the family in for my son's birthday lunch yesterday.   I thought a pasta would be too heavy for lunch so we had club sandwiches on Italian chiabatta bread, stuffed zucchini (made it this time with sour cream, but liked it with the olive oil  I used last time better), and potato salad.  Can we call the potato salad Italian since the chopped celery, onion, and bacon look like the Italian flag?


My recipe is simple.  I boil potatoes (red potatoes today, but usually Russet)  for 15 minutes in salt water, sprinkle with a couple teaspoons of cider vinegar after draining and while still hot, toss with two or three stalks of chopped celery, a half of an onion and  5 or 6 slices of bacon.  Then I sprinkle in some salt and pepper and mix in some mayo.  That's it.  Love it.  Now Italian week is officially over.  I enjoyed it immensely, and so did my family  : )

                                                                                                                                                                 


Birthday cake number two was a much bigger success. See this post to see why it is number 2.


Wish I had remembered to get a "before" shot.


Pretty sure we all liked it because this is all that is left.  It was a Bailey's Irish Cream Bundt Cake.  The only suggestion I would make is that it really only needs 1/2 of the glaze recipe.  I left out the nuts, but I know it would be great with them.

The big news about this cake is that I baked it in a pan I have had for almost 25 years and never used.  It was my grandmother's and I thought it was too small to hold a whole bundt recipe.  I have pulled it out many times over the years and always ended up putting it back in the cabinet.   The shape is wonderful and so different from the traditional pan we are all used to.  Yesterday I was in a mood and gave it a try.



Happily it worked and I will use it again and again.  Since it is taller but less wide, the cake fits on a regular dinner plate whereas a regular bundt cake is too big.  I especial liked the way the glaze ran down the sides at an angle.  Can't wait to see how a chocolate drizzle looks spiraling down.  Beautiful.  See, something good came out of cake fail  #1.